Karl Herrick

A technologist and web developer

Going offline with HTML

The time I’ve put into working on postpress seems like it has been well spent. Not only for the experiences gained in going through the exercise, but also in how much I have enjoyed working with the code. After setting up a web app manifest and implementing a service worker, I’m really enjoying web development again. Not that I ever really wasn’t into it, there’s just something exciting about seeing your hard work yield new and interesting results.

Offline HTML powered by a service worker on Microsoft Edge / Windows 10 Insider Preview

The project now has a fast initial render from a blank cache (using server side rendering), and the articles and portfolio components have offline capabilities, as well as near instant loading on a repeat visit to a page. The “Add To Homescreen” functionality varies between browser and OS, but I can see how vendors might utilize this feature in the future to promote PWAs that conform to a high enough standard.



Most importantly in my mind is that it is all working right now. It behaves as a web app when it should, and just like a traditional website when it counts. Combined with what seems like an eventual adoption of WebAssembly and Web Components as a standard part of the Open Web Platform, it’s a really awesome time to be developing against it, as it feels more alive than ever. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fun with Cygwin

When interacting with a Windows system regularly, I like to install Cygwin. It has been my tool of choice to tie into Bash, or OpenSSH in some fashion, and from there use customized shell scripts for various tasks. In the past I’ve used it as a component in solutions to:

  • host environments for building and testing web applications
  • manage workstation policies and assist with software updates
  • provide backups using rsync
  • other really awesome thingsโ„ข

With tools like apt-cyg and ConEmu in addition, I feel rather satisfied. Obviously there are a lot of quality tools outside of this ecosystem, but as a base, I’m rarely in search of something else. With that said, I’m very interested in the future of the Windows Subsystem for Linux. Getting info regarding Bash on Windows directly from Microsoft is rather refreshing. ๐Ÿ™‚

McAfee deleted svchost.exe

Wednesday afternoon I had at least two reports of workstations that were suddenly rebooting on their own. No networking and no taskbar were also symptoms. I thought it may be a virus, so I did a few scans with some of the well known Windows malware scanning tools, all the while thinking… why didn’t McAfee catch this? After two hours of scanning and no positives on the scans, I decided to rebuild the machine, but declared that I would begin on it the next day.

Well… turns out, McAfee was the issue. I got an email from them that read in part like this: “Our initial investigation indicates that the error can result in moderate to significant performance issues on systems running Windows XP Service Pack 3.” Moderate to significant? One person affected couldn’t get on the network, had no taskbar, and their computer was auto rebooting… That sounds more like extreme systemic failure! ๐Ÿ™‚

For verification of the issue, see the following screenshot:


Here are some steps I took to fix it (taken mostly from the following website: http://brianseekford.com/index.php/2010/04/21/how-to-fix-the-mcafee-svchost-crash-from-the-virus-definition-update/)

  • Boot workstation in safe mode and login as an administrative user
  • Press the following keys: CTRL-ALT-DEL.
  • Click the “File>Run” menu item, type in “cmd”, and press the “Enter” key
  • Run the command: del “C:Program FilesCommon FilesMcAfeeEngineavvscan.dat”
  • Next, we have to copy a replacement svchost.exe from the system if available. Some have found it in “c:windowssystem32dllcache” and I found it in “C:Windows$NtServicePackUninstall$” so I will go with the instructions for what I had on this particular system…
    • within the “cmd” window type the following below:
    • cd C:Windows$NtServicePackUninstall$”
    • copy svchost.exe c:WindowsSystem32
  • Next, restart the workstation, login, and update McAfee to the latest dat file. As of this writing they have replaced the broken 5958 dat with 5959.
  • Once McAfee has been updated, I had to restarted the workstation again to get McAfee to report as being updated.

And more reading regarding the issue:

Loading ...